Biometric time and attendance systems are quickly becoming more and more useful within the education sector. Biometrics are used to record accurate student attendance and is considerably more beneficial than traditional methods of tracking student attendance. Methods such as roll calling, paper-based attendance and card punching have limitations and are prone to inaccuracies. Tracking student attendance via biometrics is rising within educational institutions; this is because these systems are accurate, fast and convenient. It is also a much more effective tool to protect student identities and overall privacy of the school database.
Teachers and administrators have often spent unnecessary time tracking student attendance via traditional methods, particularly to compensate for the limitations that are associated with these outdated methods. Also, it is difficult to manage large groups of students manually, and traditional student tracking methods have loopholes which cannot prevent proxy attendance, ID card theft and attendance tracking errors.
Due to being automated and the most convenient method of recording student check-in and check-out times, schools are increasingly opting to utilise biometrics. The accuracy of identification can be ensured thanks to the way that biometrics uses the human physical and biometric characteristics, which are unique for every individual user of the system. Users accounts are protected and secure, eradicating the issue of identity theft because biometrics use sophisticated encryption to make accounts completely secure.
The education sector can benefit greatly from biometrics. Not only is it simple to use, requiring minimal technical knowledge, but it also provides faster and more efficient processes when logging student attendance. This means that both staff and students can make full use of the system without requiring any sort of extensive training. Users simply place their finger or palm on a biometric hardware device to access their personal accounts.
The benefits of educational institutions using biometrics for student attendance include:
- Accuracy - Student attendance can be monitored centrally and accurately. This prevents common problems experienced when using traditional methods.
- Time-saving - Biometric student attendance management systems track student attendance in seconds and cuts down the overall time taken to record class attendance, particularly because teachers no longer have to rectify data errors associated with traditional methods.
- Efficient - A biometric system eliminates errors and also speeds up data verification, reducing administration time greatly.
- Convenience - Checking in and out using a biometric system is simple and convenient, due to the system being automated and users not needing any technical knowledge.
- Secure - It is virtually impossible to duplicate an original image for fraud purposes. This is because, during the enrolment process, biometric systems convert scanned biometric templates to computer code and stores the information in the database for verification. The encryption methods protect the database, increasing security and protecting user privacy.
Biometric student attendance solutions are cost-effective and efficient systems that increase security and streamline operations. Students can conveniently check-in and out, bringing numerous benefits to any educational establishments. Not only can biometrics be used for student attendance, but it can also be used for cashless catering, self-service lunch management, access control, locker management, library management and other educational scenarios where accurate identification management and security is required.